Cramps and blood clots in periods. Family history of uterus cancer and high risk pregnancy. Should I be concerned?

Menstrual Periods I come from a family with very high risks in feminine disorders (uterus cancer, cervical cancer and high risk pregnancy). I get my period every 28 to 31 days and last for about 3 to 5 days. My family physician says this is normal...for the best couple months I have experienced cramps that are at a pain tolerance of 8 most days along with the cramps I also have a lot of large XXXXXXX red blood clots for most of my cycle. Is this something I should be concerned about... do you think I should make an appointment with my family physician or having her recommend a ob/gyn would be the best idea? I am between the age of 18-21.
Posted Mon, 30 Jul 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 2 hours later
Hello there,

Thanks for writing in.

I understand your concern when you have a family history of cancers. I would advise you not to be disturbed by the fact, but at the same time remain cautious. If you have been sexually active for the past three yers, I would recommend you get a pap smear test done(screening test for cervical cancer).

From what you have mentioned in your history, your menstrual cycles of 3-5 days/28-31 days seem absolutely normal. It is normal to have crampy pain on the first 1-2 days of periods along witth some red clots. As of now, I don't feel there is any need for you to visit your family physician or gynaecologist.

However, if you have heavy flow,dizziness, crampy pain lasting for many days before the onset of periods,etc. please visit your doctor.

I hope I have answered your queries.I will be happy to answer any further queries you might have.

In case you don't have any further queries,please accept my answer.Any reviews are welcome.

Have a great day.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan