Cramping and hardening of obliques after abdominal exercise, prone to muscle strain, restricts golf swing.

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
After a colonic, I began doing my rather vigorous abdominal exercises. On this particular occasion, I developed severe cramping in my right obliques, causing a hardening in that area that remains today. It has been over a year now. I was told it was nothing serious, but I seem more prone to muscle strain on that side, and I believe it restricts my range of motion, especially in my golf swing. How do I fix this Doc?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later

Abdominal muscles are of three types. The superficial Rectus muscle, the XXXXXXX and external obliques and Transversus Abdominis. A strain means either a tear or pull of the muscle from its insertion, causing pain, bruising, and limitation of activity.

In your case it seems to be a grade 2 or moderate type strain of the obliques, since it is causing limitation of activity and bruising which has now healed with fibrosis or hardening felt by you.

A grade three would be, if it affects daily routine activity like sitting, bending, getting up.

Now the answer to your query.

Firstly, try to understand that like any injured tissue, muscle too needs complete rest for proper healing which, unfortunately is practically impossible as one can't splint or immobilise the abdominal muscles. So the only alternative is to minimise stress on it by avoiding exercise or vigorous activity involving that muscle in your case, pull ups and golf.

The other treatment which helps in healing is physical therapy including ultrasound, diathermy, and stretching exercises for the affected muscle. These can give symptomatic pain relief as well as hasten the healing process.

Yours being a longstanding injury, the response could be slow but the exact exercises required or time for healing and prognosis can only be advised by your physiotherapist after proper assessment of your injury.

Yet, I suggest its better to be late than never.

So consult a physiotherapist or a doctor specialising in sports medicine for your treatment.

Hope I have answered your query.

I'll be available for any follow up queries.