Cracks in feet causes pain and discomfort. Have suspected psoriasis and given medicine. What is permanent cure?

Hi, my wife has cracks to her feet which cause severe discomfort along with pain. Some times walking becomes painful too. It recurs every winter season. I got a consultation from a dermatologist earlier and he suspects that its a form of Psoriasis and prescribed 2 ointments (don't remember the names. But they just helped temporarily. Can I request guidance towards a permanent cure for this problem?
Posted Fri, 13 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 14 hours later
Brief Answer: Psoriasis or contact eczema feet Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX , I understand your concern regarding the skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same. I have seen the attached pictures. Now going by the history and the appearance of the skin lesions, there are two things that come to my mind. One is psoriasis and the second is contact eczema or fissured eczema. Now your wife was treated on the lines of psoriasis earlier and she had temporary relief. See the winter exacerbation of the lesions that occurs is a feature both of psoriasis as well as fissured eczema. Most likely she has been using topical steroids on and off. These help in temporary relief in both of these conditions. There is only one way of differentiating the two and that is with the help of a skin biopsy. I would advise you to see a dermatologist and get a skin biopsy done. It is a small procedure in which a small part of sole of foot is anesthetized and a piece of skin is taken and then studied under microscope. This will help us in confirming our diagnosis and thereby initiating proper treatment. We do have certain drugs which are very specific for psoriasis but these can be given only when the diagnosis is confirmed. For the time being, you can continue the application of topical steroid creams containing clobetasol and six percent salicylic acid. Also there is another thing that you need to be aware about. There is on permanent cure available till date for Psoriasis. This disease has a tendency to come back after treatment some time or the other. We can only keep it under control with treatment. However, in few years, it can get permanently cured by itself also. So do not get attracted towards any form of medicine which promises a permanent cure. Hope it helps, Please ask if you have any other query, Dr Geetika Paul.