Ask a Urologist   »  

Cracked, dry skin on penis, bleeding, no itching. Abstinence, no change in bathing habits, no trauma.

Orthopaedic Surgeon
It's been about two weeks I've noticed a quarter size patch of cracked, dry skin on the base of my penis. It will bleed in the cracks of dry patch if i provoke it. It does not itch nor Contain bumps, and I've been abstinent for 4 months. I have not changed bathing habits or soaps, and to my knowledge I have not bumped into anything or scrapped the area.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 hours later

I have seen the picture attached with this query. From the appearance it seems to be a fungal infection like tinea cruris. Since you are abstinent for 4 months STDs (sexually transmitted infections)are ruled out.

You can apply an antifungal cream such as Cotrimazole locally. If you feel relieved in 2-3 days then you have to continue application for at least 2 weeks after the lesion is healed to avoid any recurrence.

Sometimes application of one topical antifungal is not sufficient and a combination of two and more antifungals are needed along with an oral therapy.

In such a case please see a Dermatologist for complete examination and get treated accordingly.

I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.