Crack in buttocks, painful, itchy. Can you offer a solution?

hi, i frequently develop a slight crack between my butt cheeks toward the top of my butt, not very close to the rectum...can you offer a is somewhat painful and rather itchy.
thank you.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
A painful and itchy crack on the butt can be due to eczema, dry skin-xerosis, dermatitis, fungal infection, etc.
I think it would be reasonable to start with the topical cream containing an antifungal- cotrimazole, an antibacterial- neomycin or mupirocin and a steroid- hydrocortisone. You can get such a combination over the counter at your local pharmacy. Most of such rashes show improvement on thrice daily application for one week.
If you do not have good results I think you need to consult a good dermatologist who would do a scraping of the skin and look under the microscope to see what might be going on in order to consider other treatments.
In the meantime, I recommend you to use general cleanliness measures to avoid any infection in that area. Avoid scratching or handling the region with barefingers.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.