Could you please tell me what foods to avoid and diet plan for hiatus hernia?

Question
Could you please tell me what foods to avoid with an hyatus hernia?
Any other suggestions as well as diet would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Posted Sat, 24 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 35 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

A hiatus hernia occurs when a part of the stomach prolapses or protrudes through a weak area of the diaphragm and enters into the thorax (chest cavity).
Most persons with hiatus hernias have no symptoms and the hernia may be discovered incidentally when investigations are done for another reason.

They may make a person more likely to have reflux or worsen reflux if it is present.

Rarely complications can occur. Some persons may experience chest discomfort which could be related to the hernia.

The diet is directed towards treating any symptoms of reflux that are present and maintaining a normal weight because obesity predisposes towards reflux.

The diet would therefore involve using small meals, reducing the use of fried/fatty/spicy/citrus foods, reducing caffeine drinks and chocolate.
Medication may be necessary to treat the reflux symptoms.

Surgery is suggested only if the reflux medication and lifestyle changes are not effective in treating GERD which can be severe.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions