Could the short term exposure to asbestos cause lung disease?

Pulmonologist
Question
A few years ago we remodeled an older home. I believe the tiles we ripped out of the floor contained asbestos. Could the brief exposure cause lung disease later in life and should I be concerned or do anything about it? At the time I hadn't heard of asbestos or knew of any issues.We didn't live in this home during or after renovations and were probably there for three days
Thank you
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 6 hours later
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX After going through the query, I would like to comment the following:

1. For development of asbestosis a long term exposure is required.

2. Short term exposure of heavy amount of dust normally leads to a condition called as RADS (Reactive Airway Dysfunction Syndrome) in which the person experiences respiratory symptoms.

3. Since you are asymptomatic, there is no need for you to worry.

4. However if required you may get your baseline check up in consultation with a Pulmonologist. Investigations of help would be Chest Xray and pulmonary function test.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist