Could slurred speech, unableness to read and confusion be symptoms of stroke?

My husband (75) is still working in marketing (corporate imaging and product packaging). At home last night when I asked if he would like to have "make your own pizza" for dinner, he looked at me with a confused expression. He suddenly could not remember what a "pizza" was. His speech became slurred, and he was unable to connect words to make a sentence. I wanted to take him to the hospital immediately but he said he would be fine. Actually he appeared well all day at the office until this evening when he again experienced confusion (though not as severely) - He asked me to help him write a memo because he was unable to read. Again he could not express himself coherently for several minutes. He does not want to go to the hospital - shall I insist that he goes tonight or may wait until tomorrow as he wishes? His symptoms lead me to believe he may be having a stroke.
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: Impending stroke Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query From the history you have given and with the back ground of high cholesterol I looks like he might be suffering from a stroke, more likely to be the left cerebral hemisphere. It is a medical emergency, please take him to the ER as soon as possible. If a stroke is recognized within the window period of 4 hours then immediate action like thrombolysis can be taken to prevent gross deficits like paralysis of one side of the body I am once again requesting you not to delay this any further, take him to the ER immediately Regards