Could seizures be caused by titanium? Had discectomy and got flu. Allergic to metal. Constricted neck and esophagus.

I had a discectomy fusion C5 C6 in 1999. I became sick with bad flu like syptoms 5 days after surgery that stayed for about 5 years. I told my surgeon that I felt like I was allergic to either the titanium or cadaver bone. He told me he had never heard of it. I was later diagnosed with fibromyalgia which I now question. Six years ago I was able to go back to work & worked till 6 months ago when I had a tonic clonic seizure at work. All test came back negative , I con't to have simple & complex partial seizures,I am now on my 4th anitepileptic med. I found this sight because I googled removal of titanium from cervical surgery because I need mine removed because swallowing had become so difficult my MD decided to check my neck & my esophagus is contricted to 1 cm. I am very allergic to metal, but have always been told it can't be titanium. Could my seizures be caused be the titanium? Have you ever heard of it?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Epilepsy
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 2 hours later

Regarding allergy to titanium or cadaveric bone I personally feel Titanium allergies are rare. This is because humans rarely come in contact with this metal on a regular basis; except for people who have them as implants.

Hypersensitivity reactions to titanium have been reported to be a cause of implant failure in hip replacement surgery and for spine (vertebral) stabilization. Skin patch testing can detect metal hypersensitivity. However one should be cautious as implants contain other metals like aluminum and nickel which cause more serious reactions than titanium.

Removal of implant is a serious decision and any consideration of it should include consultation with an allergist/immunologist. Also people who have had an allergic reaction to a metallic device or jewelry are more likely to have a reaction to an implanted device than those with no history.

Lastly titanium causing a seizure is even rarer. I have not heard of it till date. The bottom line is that I recommend you to visit an allergist/immunologist and have it evaluated.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be both helpful and adequate. If you have any additional concerns regarding your question I would be happy to address them.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr Shiva Kumar R