Could prostate cancer and male breast cancer be due to intake of propecia 1mg?

I stopped taking propecia 1mg a few years ago due to reports about prostate cancer and male breast cancer. I had been taking them for a few years, with good results, but i stopped, even though it was recommended by my doctor. I have already spoken about this online before, with yourselves, this is just to double-check.
Posted Mon, 15 Oct 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 2 hours later
Thanks for the query

The side effects caused by Propecia are reported in less than 2% cases. It is not directly involved in causing prostate cancer however is alter the level PSA which are used for the detection of prostate cancer. It actually lowers the PSA levels thus interruption in results of the test.
There is an alternate, the minoxidil in the form of hair spray which is also very much effective but its results start to appear after 3-4 months of continuous use.

If you still have some queries, feel free to ask