Could physical activity cause a bruise on my thigh?

Hi. I have a bruise on my inner thigh. It is about the size of half an orange and very dark in color. It is along the femoral artery area. It is tender to touch. I have not been hit or had any physical contact in that area. The bruise has been present for more than a week. I subbed for XXXXXXX softball last week and it is very low key. I played catcher and wonder if this may have played a role in the bruise even without having any physical contact in this area? Thanks!
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 1 hour later
Hi Yolager, Welcome to XXXXXXX Forum.

Thanks for the Query.

I Would like to know few things here, so that i can suggest you better:

1.) Do you have similar Bruises any where else on your Body?

2.) Have you noticed any abnormal bleeding from your nose, gums, in stools or urine?

Going by your History, you could be having:

1.) Contusion

2.) Hematoma

3.) Bruit.

Which are more common after sustaining a Injury, which you may have sustained accidentally without your Notice.

But other factors also have to be ruled out to rule out the exact cause, Kindly get yourself examined by a Surgeon.

He shall do a Physical Examination and do a Blood work up to confirm it, if deemed necessary, because blood clotting problem or blood related disease have to be ruled out and Bruises accompanied by persistent pain, tenderness or headache may indicate a more serious underlying illness which would require medical or surgical attention.

If there is nothing serious, the lesion will disappear gradually on its own in one or two weeks.

You can try some Home Care Remedies for this:
1.) Elevate your affected leg while lying down
2.) Apply ice packs several times a day
3.) Rest your affected leg.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up Queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.