Could painless canker after sex be a symptom of HIV?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
I have had a single painless canker sore/ucler appear under my upper lip one week after one minute of unprotected sex with someone whoses std status is unknown. Could this be an early symptom of HIV?
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Acute HIV symptoms Detailed Answer: Hi Mr. CCmolt, Welcome to health care magic. I have gone through your query and I understand your concern regarding acute HIV symptoms. Many persons do not suffer from any symptoms. If at all they are symptomatic, the symptoms include fever, lethargy, arthralgia, skin rash, lymphadenopathy (mild). Rarely mucocutaneous ulcers and depression. A single canker sore does not seem to be significant, but HIV infection cannot be ruled out completely based on clinical examination. Confirmation by lab testing is a must. The only way to decrease your anxiety would be to get a HIV test done for HIV status confirmation. I would suggest PCR test for HIV RNA/proviral DNA. I hope I have cleared your doubts. Please let me know if I can assist you further. Thanks.