Could not hold erection after marijuana and alcohol. Is this serious? Is something wrong with me?

Hello, I am a 29 year old male who has no current health problems and this is my first incident. I have a partner who I am sexually active with and have had no problems in the past. Most of the time when we have intercourse we are usually drinking or drunk and it turns out to be very pleasurable. However, this time we both smoked marijuana while being drunk, and after 30 minutes we had sexual intercourse. For some odd reason, I couldn't hold my erection, It would come and go, I felt the need to please and also ejaculate myself however I couldn't maintain an erection. Is this something serious? Can Marijuana do this? Is there something wrong with me? Thank you Doctor.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Men Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 56 minutes later

I can understand your concern. It has been reported that marijuana users can suffer from erectile dysfunction but this depends on the amount of time for which marijuana has been used. In your case, it can be due to marijuana use. Stop using marijuana and if the erectile dysfunction persists then you should get it evaluated from a sexual health expert.

In your case, considering your age, erectile dysfunction can be psychological in nature in that case. It can be due to poor communication with your partner, unrealistic sexual expectations, which make sex a task rather than a pleasure, negative feelings about non performance, smoking, alcohol and sometimes illicit drugs.

Talk to your partner openly about any fears or apprehensions, eat nutritious healthy food, exercise regularly and cut down on smoking or alcohol if you are taking it.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.