Could loose endo clips in abdominal cavity be the cause for chronic pain?

General Surgeon
Endo clips loose in abdominal cavity and found at the site of chronic pain. Could they be the cause? Doctors can't find any other cause for the pain
Posted Wed, 26 Mar 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Yes, this can be the reason of your symptoms. In most cases clips does not cause any symptoms. But for some reason, some patients are more reactive to any foreign bodies including stitches, clips etc. Due to such hypersensitivity, clips can cause local inflammation and pain. So if the clips are located in the pain area, this seems to be the reason. I suggest you to have abdominal CT to see if there is no inflammation in the clips area. Please also consult a surgeon and consider laparoscopy. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Follow-up: Could loose endo clips in abdominal cavity be the cause for chronic pain? 1 hour later
Hi. Thank you for your fast reply. If the clips were causing inflammation, would it show up in you blood (inflammatory markers etc)? I had an MRI a while ago for my pelvis. Would that show inflammation if it was there? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: If it is a chronic inflammation, can be no signs in blood work (WBC and CRP will be in referential ranges). MRI should show any inflammation if the clips were in the pelvis area. However its possible that the clips are higher than MRI was tracked. Regards.