Could laser operation help to improve vision with high power?

My nephew is having specs of very high numbers of about 7.5. Her age is 10 years. Could laser operation help to improve her vision in any ways?
Posted Mon, 30 Dec 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Laser surgery is advised after 21 years. Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to health care magic Iam Dr. Dadapeer K, an Ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye. It seems from the history that your nephew is having high refractive error of 7.5 dioptres. Traditionally and proved treatment is wearing spectacles till the age of 15-18 years, later contact lenses till 21 years and once the refractive error is stabilized and age is more than 21 years, Laser operation can be performed. However in few children in whom it is not possible to correct refractive error by spectacles may be advised laser surgery. But do remember laser surgery is performed most commonly in adults after 21 years and once the refractive power is stabilized. Though rarely laser surgery is performed in children its long term results are not known as the refractive power keeps changing till 21 years, they may require one more surgery later and they may require spectacles even after surgery. Hence I advice to continue spectacles and undergo laser surgery when it is safe to perform by the age of 21 years. Till then regular follow up is required once in six months or 1 year to look for change in refractive power. Hope I have answered your query. With regards Dr. Dadapeer K