Could i have saved my sight if i had treated the infection after retina surgery?

Hi Doctor, I was prescribed Prednefrin Forte eye drops post detached retina surgery. The doctor concerned when 32 days between visits and in this time a keratitis ulcer destroyed the cornea in my right eye casing total blindness. Allergan the manufacturer of the drops are concerned that I went over 10 days between visits. My question is if I had seen the doctor within this time would the infection have been treated and saving my sight. Regards XXXXXXX McMahon
Posted Mon, 10 Mar 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 3 hours later
Brief Answer: With early treatment severity would have been less Detailed Answer: Hello I am Dr. Dadapeer, an Ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye. I went through the history and the photo attached with the query. You are having corneal ulcer in the eye. It seems from the history that you had surgery for retinal detachment following which you are having corneal ulcer/ keratitis and you have used prednefrin forte eye drops which contains prednisolone. Prednisolone is known to increase the risk of progression of the infection. Use of local steroids like prednisolone is one of the known risk factors for corneal ulcer. Coming to your question if I had seen the doctor within this time would the infection have been treated? I think definitely yes, if it was noticed earlier. If you had asked me earlier, I would have started you on appropriate antimicrobial drugs and stopped steroid eye drops. The severity of the infection would have been reduced. Steroids are known to decrease the inflammatory symptoms thus reducing the pain and other inflammatory symptoms and the patients may not notice the ulcer until unless it progresses. Thus steroid eye drops cause progression of the infection. The next mode of treatment should be a therapeutic keratoplasty for healing of the corneal ulcers. I can assure from my experience that if the retinal detachment surgery is successful vision can be restored from keratoplasty. We have treated corneal ulcers which are equally bad as yours with good success rates. Yes I advice you to consult your doctor and a corneal specialist for further treatment accordingly. Hope the information is helpful to you. Thank you