Could i be pregnant with the line showing up lighter on the ovulation strip?

May 2014

I am 26 years old and trying to get pregnant. I am on a normal 28 day cycle and my last period started January 22. Counting the fourteen days since then we began trying every other day hoping to catch the egg. A week later I have a lot of cramping, gas, discharge (never have had this), nausea, etc. I used a clear blue ovulation strip and the line showed up lighter indicating that I do not have a "LH Surge". Does this indicate pregnancy? I was also tested for all STD's by my OB about a week ago in an effort to prepare for a pregnancy and all were negative.
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX Thanks for writing in to us. For a normal 28 day cycle LH surge test must be started on day 12 of your cycle. Explanations for negative results in the LH surge strip test may include: 1. Use of first morning urine. First morning urine should not be used for LH. 2. The concentration of LH is too low to be accurately detect. 3. When testing is performed too early or too late in the menstrual cycle. 4. If testing is stopped before the surge occurs, and should have been continued for a few more days. The LH surge test is not a pregnancy test and will not give any confirmatory findings. Fertilization is most likely from a day to three days following the LH surge. Since this favorable time occurs once per menstrual cycle, and for only about 24 hours, it is the best time for the conditions in the uterus for a lady to get pregnant. Unprotected intercourse is advised during the one to three day period following the LH surge to increase chances of pregnancy. The home pregnancy test must be performed at least 15 days after unprotected sexual intercourse for most accurate results. Cramping, gas discharge and nausea are remotely associated with pregnancy in your situation. Hope I have answered your query. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek
Follow-up: Could i be pregnant with the line showing up lighter on the ovulation strip? 1 hour later
Would a blood test be able to give me results sooner? I have taken several home tests and they are all negative. Granted it's only been 8 days since unprotected sex. Otherwise I will wait another 7 to test again. Is it possible to have these symptoms and it be something else? Considering my recent std tests (negative), my pregnancy attempt etc I can't help but think I am probably pregnant. I have never had the discharge I have now or at least never noticed and had the cramping and stomach pains. I have even stuck with a restrictive diet the past few days because I haven't felt well.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX Thanks for writing back to us. There are blood tests to measure serum beta HCG levels. At 8 days after probable unprotected sex, at times it may not be detected even by blood tests leading to disappointment. I suggest you wait for few days and get tested at home once 15 days are over. If you still have a negative test and your periods have not happened then it is advisable to get blood pregnancy test done. You may be right about your pregnancy tests but we need to allow a certain time before tests may confirm it. Best wishes, Regards, Dr.Vivek