Could high ESR be due to recovery from pneumonia?

Question
My mother has a esr of 103 . She has recently been in ICU after severe pneumonia. She was on life support. Could the high reading be due to this
Posted Wed, 25 Dec 2013 in Blood Disorders

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: Possible Detailed Answer: Yes ESR rises with age and after recovering from pneumonia infection. It may be delayed in aged. Smoking raises ESR.

Follow-up: Could high ESR be due to recovery from pneumonia? 19 minutes later
If she is otherwise feeling generally well ...is the raised esr level most likely to be a result of pneumonia. Why do you think they are sending for CT

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 15 hours later
Brief Answer: Evaluate the entire pulmonory system Detailed Answer: Hi, A old lady with history of smoking with raised ESR should be evaluated for malignancy. At least I would do that. Good that her general condition appears good and this is probably right time to evaluate.

Follow-up: Could high ESR be due to recovery from pneumonia? 1 hour later
Whilst in ICU my mother had a bronchscoptomy ( forgive the spelling ) and there were no cancerous cells detected. She was also constantly giving blood. Would cancer not have already shown up by now if it were present .

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: Bronchoscopy has limited reach Detailed Answer: Hi, Brochoscopy looks only into the bronchus and not the entire lung. I am happy that there are no cancerous cells but we need a complete evaluation till the cancer is found to be negative.

Follow-up: Could high ESR be due to recovery from pneumonia? 28 hours later
Could she have lung cancer?

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 38 minutes later
Brief Answer: There is risk involved Detailed Answer: Every person who has a history of smoking will have a risk towards lung cancer or other cancers. Nothing can be definitely said till the time we are sure of no cancer lesions. Each time there is a symptom we need to look for cancer for sure in such people. So all the efforts of the doctor should be to find the cancer lesion.