Could extreme feeling of nausea be due to flu or pregnancy?

is the flu going around? I am extremely nauseated, don't think i'm pregnant as i finished my period 2 weeks ago
Posted Wed, 1 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: Flu season around Detailed Answer: Hi This is the peak season for flu epidemics. I am not sure if someone in your locality or family is already affected by it. I would blame it on your medicines for the nausea if you are not affected by flu. Go for homeremedies like suck on ginger or lemon if you can tolerate. Else you can skip one dose of medicines and check if you improve.
Follow-up: Could extreme feeling of nausea be due to flu or pregnancy? 32 minutes later
Is there a chance of pregnancy? I take my birth control religiously every day at the same time? I had my last regular cycle on November 26th, about 2 weeks ago. I have had sexual intercourse 3 or 4 times since then. My mom was saying she didn't feel well last night, but I didn't ask her what symptoms she has had. What do you recommend for hydration?
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 17 hours later
Brief Answer: Unlikely to be pregnant Detailed Answer: Hi Birth control pills are effective in preventing pregnancy. If you take them regularly there is a minimal chance to be pregnant. You should not worry about pregnancy now. I recommend normal water for hydration. The alternative is water plus pinch of salt and 1tsp of sugar in 300ml of water.
Follow-up: Could extreme feeling of nausea be due to flu or pregnancy? 5 hours later
Thank you, I do have an additional question. I am bloated, lots of pressure even pain in the stomach region. Is this gas? Could it be a cyst? Possibly an ulcer? I only ask because I have been taking the acid reflux medication for a month now. How long could these side effects last? What about a hietal hernia? I'm just trying to narrow down what this is. it's been a weird feeling in the stomach, never experienced it before... there are times when it feels like the stomach is like stretching out and moving around... I appreciate your medical expertise. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: My opinion follows Detailed Answer: Hiatal hernia can cause bloating and may be moving around sensation. Gastritis can cause gas to build up. Stomach ulcer is typically has burning pain. The pain will increase within one hour after food. If the pain reduces after food and increases after two hours then it is duodenal ulcer. Both these can pile up gas. The twist is you should not have any symptoms because acid reflux medication typically keep the pain away. Cyst in the ovaries? The pain would be in the lower half of the abdomen. I would start on H Pylori triple therapy for two weeks along anti reflux medication in such a situation with additional Ultrasound of abdomen.