Could empty sella syndrome cause to lose weight and prevent from gaining weight?

Could Empty Sella Syndrome cause you to loose weight and also prevent you putting weight on - I am a 59 yr old male previously to being diagnosed with ess I had back pain which after an ct showed that I had 4 discs that were swollen and therefore pinching on some nerve- my back has improved, but I one numb knee and weakness in that knee also
Posted Thu, 30 Aug 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 3 hours later

Empty sella syndrome (ESS) is usually not associated with weight loss; moreover 75% patients are obese.

The explanation is that ESS may be associated with many endocrinal disorders like hypothyroidism, adrenal deficiency, and diabetes mellitus along with pituitary hormone deficiency. It cuts off the level of most of the weight reducing catabolic hormones like thyroid, adrenaline, etc. But if diabetes mellitus is associated with it then weight loss may occur as diabetes is a catabolic disorder. But you could easily rule this out by checking your blood sugar via a simple blood test.

So ESS usually does not lead to weight loss or failure to gain weight.

Knee weakness and numbness due to pinched nerve can be managed by a competent spine surgeon. Treatment can vary as per the needs - conservative medications, physiotherapy, intrathecal steroid, intravenous pulse steroid therapy as well as surgical treatment are available. You should go for MRI spine if not yet done and consultation with a spinal surgeon for proper evaluation and right management of knee problem.

I hope this information will be of help to you. If you want to know further you may write back your queries to me.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion. Your review will be appreciated.

Wishing you good health and quick recovery

Dr. Arnab Maji