Could elevated AST levels be due to allergy?

I am a 60 year old, healthy female. (I have had not problems in the past) About 3 months ago, I cut my grass on a very windy day. Grass ws flying into my eyes, nose, etc. I believe it had been treated with chemicals, as we have done for the past 8 years. A week later, I could not stop scratching and had a rash on my chest and stomach (small red bumps). I had to drive to Florida to help my son move. On the way down, I used an entire box of tissue and could not stop scratching. I visited a dermatologist who did skin biopsies on some of the bumps. The results suggested possible "Grover's disease." I took 17 days of prednisone. The itch went away and most of the rast-but about two weeks ago, it came back. I had a blood rest which said my AST and ALT were elevated (70 and 71) I had been taking Tylenol for migraines for the past wix weeks because the medicine I had been taking (Midrin) is no longer manufactured. I feel o.k. other than the itching. Of course, it's aways worse at night and I have trouble sleeping. I weigh 130 and am 5'2". I have not eaten anything but fruits and vegetables since the high enzyme diagnosis. I am to see my liver disease. Could the AST and AST enzymes be elevated due to some type of allergic reaction?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Follow-up: Could elevated AST levels be due to allergy? 6 minutes later
I forgot to add that my head itches worse than any other part of my body atthis time. I colored my hair the other day and had to take the solution off almost immediately because my head started itching intensely!
Answered by Dr. Vijay Sharma 22 hours later

I understand your problem, most likely your skin problem is due to Groves disease, it will gradually improve, best is to avoid hot, XXXXXXX and dry climate. If required you can use local application medicine or oral medicines.

Regarding hepatitis, at present it seems to be mild, but I would like to know few more things as this would help me in suggesting you better:
1. Do you have symptoms like tiredness, body aches, yellow discolouration of urine, yellow eyes, swelling of feet
2. Do you consume Alcohol or Smoke
3. Do you have any family history of Liver disease or any past history of jaundice
4. Did you undergo tests like complete liver function tests, lipid profile, blood sugar levels, hemogram, serum creatinine, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C antibody test, Sonography abdomen. If yes, please write the reports here or mail it to me.

You may need XXXXXXX test also to rule out autoimmune disease affecting the liver and other body tissues

Please write back with the answers and reports, if possible you can mail me the reports to YYYY@YYYY with subject:ATTN Dr Vijay Sharma. Also please do confirm the mailing of the reports by writing here, as to reply you back at the earliest.

Awaiting your response.

Follow-up: Could elevated AST levels be due to allergy? 3 hours later
I didn't realize that I might have hepatitis. There is a history of fatty liver in my family. My mother had it at my age and lived to be 92. My son had a liver sonogram earlier because his numbers were higher than normal also. There was no problem found. All of my problems began when I cut my grass on a very windy day and got grass all over me. I was wondering if the itching is only due to the Grover's disease or if it has to do with the higher than normal enzymes. My eyes are not yellow. I don't ache. The only symptom I have is tiredness because I can't sleep due to the itching. I have never smoked and do not use alcohol. My feet are not swollen. I am visiting my allergist next week.
Answered by Dr. Vijay Sharma 2 hours later

Thanks for getting back to me.

Do find out regarding allergy causing weeds, poison ivy in your region, what type of grass it is which can cause allergy?

Inform your TSH level, gamma globulin level,
Whether XXXXXXX ASMA, AMA, LKM antibody tests have been done?

Discuss with physician regarding oral steroid again, new drugs for itching can be used
Follow-up: Could elevated AST levels be due to allergy? 54 minutes later
The only results I have now are the AST and ASP (70, 71) I had a blood test on Friday regarding liver realted items. When I see my primary care phys. tomorrow, he said he should have the results back. My former minister had autoimmune (sp.?) hepatitis and his counts were in the thousands. I hope my counts are not headed upward!
Answered by Dr. Vijay Sharma 7 hours later
Hello Madam ,
Thanks for the query

I do need the entire reports for understanding the case better.

From the levels you have sent me they seem normal.

Do not worry.