Could dependent Atelectasis be due to dust in lung or from an obstruction in the bronchiole? Suggest cure?

Pulmonologist
Question
hi Dr.

I just wanted to ask if you thought my dependent alactasis could be from the dust itself on the lung or from an obstruction in the bronchioli?

If it is from an obstruction, can the obstruction and the atelactasis heal with time?

I had two other Doctors say they did not think it would heal. i remember you said it could and was just wondering if you still think so?

thanks
Also, does it sound like it rounded atelactasis or could become?
Posted Sat, 14 Sep 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
A 2 year follow up will tell the progression.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. The basal atelectasis could be related to silica exposure since the previous ct scan had not reported it. Bronchioles are very small airways and the silica particles entering those small bronchioles could be one of the causes of basal atelectasis. Also some times if not much breathing effort is done , such basal atelectasis is seen in bed ridden patients with no change of position especially in obese patients, but that is an unlikely case. Try to do maximum chest physiotherapy and chances are that it may be reveresed with physiotherapy. However a 2 year folloup after the exposure is extremely essential, if by 2 years the lesion does not regress, then the chances of it regressing in future is extremely less.

2. Round atelactasis is an entity of significant size of atelectasis and yours is just a streak visible in HRCT scan so chances are pretty low of increasing the size to that extent.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist

Follow-up: Could dependent Atelectasis be due to dust in lung or from an obstruction in the bronchiole? Suggest cure? 25 hours later
hi Dr.

If the Atelactisis stays with me for life, does it impair lung function?

Now I have lower lung involvement. I suppose that could be the start of acute silicosis. Is it possible that someone in my position can get basal atelactasis and it not progresses?

I feel like i am healing up besides that. i really had bad year this year. I am hoping to have some more to make up.

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes the lesion can be static.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow up.After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. Yes, the basal atelectasis can be static i.e non progressive and if it is very small, it may also dissapear. But chest physiotherapy, breathing exercises need to be very regular along with medications.

2. You are symptomatically improving and that is good.

3. For the relation to be established with silicosis, a 2 year follow up is required to establish the nature and progression if any of the lesion.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist