Could childhood blood clot cause severe headaches and will there be any complications in future?

Nov 2013

Hello, I have a question on an MRI for the Brain. I have currently started to have severe headaches and was ordered this MRI. The results show that there is a encephalomalacia and gliosis within the inferior right cerebellar hemisphere and left occipital lobe suffusive of prior infarcts. Now I did have a blood clot in my head as a young child and I am now 37. Could this be a cause of these headaches? And can this lead to any other further symptoms or issues in my future? Thank you for your time!
Posted Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 37 minutes later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query and sending the report of your MRI brain. First of all, I would like to reassure you that there is no need to worry about your recent MRI brain findings. As you suspected, these abnormalities are the result of old blood clot you suffered as a child. So, they are more like a "scar" of the old insult to the brain. Therefore, your current headaches are not due to these findings on the brain MRI. We need to find out the reason of blood clots that you had in childhood. If that cause was identified and treated, then, there is no risk in the future. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG: