Could asthma medication usage cause any side effects like pain or weakness on the legs?

General Surgeon
DEAR Dr. My 10 years old.had penuimonia when he was10 days. Trated by antibiotic by Iv.Then asthma cintinued was was under control.since last year severe asthma keeps attacking him. He is treated by serritude. Was given dexrol syru. Medrol.with 0.7 ventoline 2 ml normal saline and felxotudein nebulizer. Sometimrshe needs clacid. on 22nd of Dec,2013 he had fever forunkown reasonreaching 39. Itook him to adoc was given comax mepha for 4 days. Fever didnt go itook him back white blood cells were normal only lymphocite medicine was changed to clacid after two days the fever gone but 3 days later couldnt bear weight in his leg.GBS was excluded. MRI SPINE HEAD HIPS NORMAL. LUKEMIA EXCLUDED.CK NORMAL. EVERUTHING WAS NORMAL. NOWHE IS ON PHYSIOTHERAPY.I SAWA NUROLOGIEST TOO EVERYTHING IS XXXXXXX MY QUESTION IS LING TERMASTHMA MEDICATIONCAUSE THIS TO HIM? THE SECIND QUESTION ASTHMA IS NIT UNDER CONTROL EVEN WITH SERRITIDE AND SINGULAR OR SIMPHYCORT? SHALL I SHIFT TO ZADITINE.HE COUGHS SEVERLY. ALL THE YEAR HAS BRONCHITIES AND TRACHEA ALLERGY. I DID CT SCAN FIR LUNGS IT WAS NORMAL. I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO?
Posted Sat, 22 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 7 hours later
Brief Answer: zaditine will be helpful Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear Ms Being a parent myself I understand your concern about health of the child and his wellbeing. First and foremost I want to reassure that medication given for asthma are not known to cause any side effects like pain or weakness on the legs. So be assured it's definitely not due to medication being given. Coming to management of asthma and persistent bronchitis. I would advise you the following 1. Steam inhalation: 15 to 20 minutes each session twice a day will be helpful 2. Regular exercise and avoiding dust 3. Clean his bed sheet and pillow covers in hot water to remove all dust. 4. Shifting to Zaditine which is ketotifen and it's a mast cell stabiliser will be definitely be helpful. It prevent release of inflammatory mediators from mast cells and helps prevent attack of asthma. Alternatively Combination of Cetrizine and Montelukast will definitely be helpful. 5. Multiple allergy testing: Identifying the exact allergen causing the symptoms is equally important. It can be done by multiple intradermal injection testing. Do consult your Pulmonologist for the same Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Pediatric Surgeon
Follow-up: Could asthma medication usage cause any side effects like pain or weakness on the legs? 18 hours later
Thanks a lot Dr. 1- I did blood test for all Iga they were normal only c3 and c4 were high. 2- We are living in kw the weather is so dusty and polluted, when I travel he does't suffer from asthma. 3- He is using seritude by spacer 50/25 4 puffs twice in severe attack and it reduced to 1 or 2 in normal cases along with singulair 5 mg. I was using these medicine since one year we shift to flexotide sympicot I didnt see that they prevented allergy and asthma attack. now he is taking flexotide 1ampule 2mg ventoline 0, 7and 2mg normal saline in nebulizer according to certain time table along with seritude and aries 5mg. 4- Regarding steam inhilation should it be hot or cold? 5- He is 37 kilos , what is the right dosage for zaditine syrup? it is too drowsy he needs to go to school how can I give it, please? 6- can I use seritude , singulaire and zaditine with aries all together or only zaditine? 7- I bought nanoe panossonic air humidifier and air cleaner is it useful in his case? 8- along with the previous problems he always has itchy throat sometimes trachea congesstion and trachea allaergy
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Hot steam inhalation Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for getting back to me. Let me address the issues 1. STEAM INHALATION: It should be hot from boiling water. Electronic steamer can also be used. 2. Zaditine syrup is Ketotifen which is antihistamines agent and like others causes sedation but to lesser extent. It can used in so dosage of 0.75 mg once a day. Or alternatively I would recommend you combination of Cetrizine 5mg + Montelukast 5mg (Singulair tablet which you are already familiar) a day . Cetrizine is preferably very less sedative antihistamines and Montelukast is a mast cell stabiliser. Long term use of it is definitely beneficial. 3. Remember Zaditine is only for prophylaxis and prevention of an attack of Asthma. So when your child is asymptomatic only intake of Zaditine is okay. Either use Zaditine or Singulaire. 4. Nan Panasonic air humidifier is definitely helpful. Dry air precipitates bronchial spasm and causing an attack of Asthma. 5. Warm saline gargling : To a glass of lukewarm water add two spoon of common table salt. Make him gargle throat thrice a day. Let him continue. This will be very useful for itchy throat. I hope it helped. Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Deepak
Follow-up: Could asthma medication usage cause any side effects like pain or weakness on the legs? 7 minutes later
thanks alot what about seritude 50/25 by the spacer? shall i continue using it even if i decide to give zaditine? can they be used together? i understood that singulair and zaditine cannot be used together. thanks i remain
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Zaditine or Singulair can be used alone Detailed Answer: Hi Greetings Sorry for late reply, as was busy in Theater. Seritude is useful for acute control of attack of asthma, whereas Singlair or Zaditine prevents an attack. Either Zaditine or Singulair can be used for prolonged period alone, and spacer used only when there is acute episode. Zaditine and Singulair prevent future attacks and reduce the need for bronchodilators and steroids used for managing asthma. Wishing you and your family a happy and healthy life. Take Care Best Regards Deepak