Could a urine infection cause severe lower abdominal pain?

Hi, I am a 35 year old female with Mirena coil. I have had lower abdominal pain mainly on right side since Sunday, was severe when it came on and lasted for about 2 hours now it comes and goes and is moderate. I had pink spotting with the severe pain, which has stopped now. Now I also have nausea, headache, bloated, dizziness, fatigue and low grade fever. Home pregnancy test negative but I do have a urine infection, not sure I'd feel this poorly with just a urine infection though?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later

It would have been good if you had also mentioned since when you been on this coil.

Mirena coil as you might know is an Intra-Uterine Coil, containing synthetic progesterone - "levonorgestrel". Though most women tolerate them very well, some have reported side effects. Occasional crampy abdominal pain, headache, nausea, bloating and dizziness are common reported side effects. Often these symptoms are noticed early within the first few weeks following Mirena insertion.

Though you have most symptoms are suggesting the side effects of 'levonorgestrel' and which doesn't warrant emergency management. In the presence of severe cramps, fever and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) should also be ruled out.

Use of appropriate antibiotic is suggested initially for UTI and PID. If it does not help then removal of the coil is entailed.

I do not want to create an unnecessary panic. However I feel your symptoms need's doctor's attention.

I hope you find my answer useful. If you have any more clarifications, I am available to clear your doubts.

Wish you faster recovery.