Could a botched injection cause synovitis?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
Hi... I have a labral tear in my right hip for which I've been getting periodic steroid injections. I had one in Dec, and the doc obviously hadn't done many. The hip has lost ROM since the shot and is painful doing stuff like going up and down stairs. X-rays are unremarkable. Doc's sent me for an MRI - it will be Friday before I get the 'official' report. But since I'm a geek, I looked at the disc myself. To me it appears that there is fluid in the joint? The attached pics are 3T MRI without contrast. Would you agree that this is fluid? And could a botched injection cause synovitis (as opposed to infection?)? Or is this likely more indicative of infection (bad...)? Or do you have any other ideas? I assume if it is fluid that I'll need to get a joint aspiration or something to see what is going on, but am trying to gather info up-front.
Posted Wed, 26 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Seems to be fluid in joint. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. I have gone through the report attached. You are correct. It seems to be fluid in joint. The picture seems more of synovitis. You need to get a joint aspiration to see what is going on. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care

Follow-up: Could a botched injection cause synovitis? 1 hour later
Wondering how you distinguish synovitis from infection? E.g. the comment 'it seems to be more synovitis'. (not that I'm complaining, mind you). Ty.

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 38 hours later
Brief Answer: More synovial thickening and joint effusion Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Sorry for late reply. There is more synovial thickening and joint effusion in synovitis.