Could L-Glutamine supplement for healing gastritis aid in any growth of cysts?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I have been recently diagnosed with mild gastritis, and during a MRI, two 1cm side branch IPMN lesions in the pancreas were found. I want to add L- Glutamime supplements to help heal the gastritis. Could this supplement aid in any growth of these cysts?
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Please upload your MRI reports... Detailed Answer: Hi, I have read your medical history and understood your concerns. You are saying that IPMN lesions have been found in the pancreas during a recent MRI. I'd like to have the MRI report as further clarification for their origin is needed. L-Glutamine supplements has been reported to help heal gastritis. Studies have suggested its role in protecting immune system, especially in immuno-comprimised patients. To determine if this supplement is having any effect on the cysts, it should be determined first the nature of cysts. Looking forward to have your MRI reports! Dr.Klerida

Follow-up: Could L-Glutamine supplement for healing gastritis aid in any growth of cysts? 4 hours later
Dr Klerida, I sent the MRI report. It consists of two pages. Did you receive? Joe XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 6 hours later
Brief Answer: L-glutamine can be used,further tests advised... Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Thank you for following up. I received the MRI report, unfortunately, I received only 1 page; the other one is missing. I have read the MRI report and noticed that the cysts seen in the pancreas are intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasia (IPMN). Taking L-glutamine won't give any problems if IPMN is confirmed. Although not scientifically concluded yet, L-glutamine can be used in patients with neoplasia without interfering to the cysts. However, I suggest to run further tests to evaluate/confirm IPMN and get properly treated. All the best! Dr.Klerida

Follow-up: Could L-Glutamine supplement for healing gastritis aid in any growth of cysts? 11 minutes later
I did see a pancreatic specialist and they did confirm that these are side branch IPMN, 1 and 1.3 cm. they want to follow up with a ct scan in 6 months. Is this your understanding how these lesions are treated? Also, what treatment do you advise for mild gastritis other than nexium and sulcrafate, which I am now taking?

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 20 hours later
Brief Answer: Suggested to get tested&treated for H.pylori too.. Detailed Answer: Hi back, Thank you for following up. You are mentioning to be taking nexium and sucralfate for mild gastritis. So far, I agree with this treatment. However, I would suggest to do testing for H.pylori. If positive, then, should start treatment with antibiotics. With regards to the pancreatic lesions, they seem to be small in size and low malignity rate. I do agree with your doctors for following-up and re-check after 6 months. Usually, surgery is suggested in these cases, however, should wait until next check-up to determine if surgery is needed. All the best! Dr.Klerida

Follow-up: Could L-Glutamine supplement for healing gastritis aid in any growth of cysts? 1 hour later
Dr Klerida, I did get tested for H.Pylori. The endoscopy's biopsies showed no bacteria. Regarding the Pancreas cysts, I hope we all agree that monitoring is the best approach, and I believe these lesions are very slow growth and resection could be a long way off, and maybe never. I disagree that these cysts usually require surgery. My understanding is that side branch IPMN,asymptomac, without focal mass, and under 3 cm are seldom with operation. But, are you referring to ethonal ablation, which drains the cysts as opposed to open surgery? These cyst have caused me more stress than I need, because I was not expecting these findings.

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 2 days later
Brief Answer: If cysts are small,no need to be worried too much Detailed Answer: Hi again, The usual practice in my clinic to treat such lesions is surgery or other techniques including FNI during EUS (Fine needle inspiration through endoscopic ultrasound) and PDT during ERCP (photodynamic therapy through Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography) if the cysts size would be bigger than 3 cm. In your case, the cysts sizes were less than 2 cm (very small), so, watchful waiting treatment is advised together with regular follow ups. I understand your worries and stress you experience, however, you should not get stressed too much. As long as the cysts are too small and there is no aggravation of the symptoms, there is nothing to be worried about. Such cysts might remain with the same size for longer time and no treatment would be required. Hope it helped! Dr.Klerida

Follow-up: Could L-Glutamine supplement for healing gastritis aid in any growth of cysts? 28 minutes later
Dr Klerida, Thanks for your clarification. Your explanation is very helpful.

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Glad to know I was of help... Detailed Answer: Hi again, Happy to be assisting you further! Wishing you all the best DR.Klerida