Could I use Gentisone ear drops for a ear infection and sore ear?

ENT Specialist
Question
Hello , My English is not good , Im not british sorry. I had a sore ear, feeling full like there is an object . I went to the Hospital on Sunday and Doctor told me there is a small hall in my ear drum and small infection. I got a prescription for ear drops and pharmacy had an alternative Gentisone, they called the Doctor and she said its fine. I just read some info online and they it says if there is a perforation in the ear these drops are not good. she said to take them for 7 days 3 times a day 2 drops. Im also on the plane tomorrow and it is 2 flight each 2 hours. Can you tell me if the drops are ok to use? My ear was a little better yesterday but not so today. I know is still early for the med to work. I just need a piece of mine . Thanks so much. XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 6 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Ear drop is ok Detailed Answer: Hi Mam, I have gone through your query. It suggests that you may be suffering from the otitis media. For your kind information In traumatic perforation of the ear drum, ear drop is avoided but in otitis media ciprofloxacin or ofloxacin ear drop is the drug of choice. No danger of the hearing by the your above mentioned ear drop. You may fly. Please add some more drugs with this ear drop 1. Systemic antibiotics such as ciprofloxacin. 2. Systemic nasal decongestant. 3. Steam Inhalation three times a day. You may need prescription for these medicines. Avoid putting water, ear bud and oil in the ear. Wish you good health

Follow-up: Could I use Gentisone ear drops for a ear infection and sore ear? 22 minutes later
Thank you very much for your kind and fast answer,You are lovely Doctor!!!!! One more think I need to ask, The Doctor said that the hall maybe in my hear a long time. I have no flu or cold symptoms. She did not know how it happend but said its small and and a bit read , so small infection. Is the Gentisone still ok? It is Gentamicin and Hydrocortisone Acetate. Im just making sure.Thank you very much for your advise. If drops dont work in a week I will go to specialist . Is that the answer? Have a lovely day and thank you , XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: your ear drop is ok Detailed Answer: Hi Mam, I have gone through your query. Your ear drop is ok for this disease. I personally advised to you that you may consult the ENT specialist for better management. You may need to go for 1. X ray mastoid. 2. Pure tone audiometry. If you have any doubt, I will be available for your query.

Follow-up: Could I use Gentisone ear drops for a ear infection and sore ear? 17 minutes later
Thank you very much ! I will use the drop for 7days and go to ENT in a week.I will be traveling. Its good to know I can fly and use the drop. Thank you and take care. XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Welcome Detailed Answer: Hi Mam, I have gone through your follow up query. Your decision is good. Happy journey.