Could I take ipill after having unprotected sex to avoid pregnancy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016

OBGYN
Question
My period started on 20 of this month and ended on 23 rd,I had unprotected sex on 26,what are my chances of getting pregnant and if I should take I pill now
Posted Tue, 17 Dec 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. S Patra 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments: 1) First, you should know that first 5 days after period over is extremely safe if your previous cycle was regular with 28 to 30 days duration. In such case, your chance of pregnancy is extremely rare and you DON'T need to take I-pill. 2) Second, if your previous cycle was irregular with shorter duration (within 21 to 25 days), then chance of pregnancy is there. In that case, you must TAKE I-pill to avoid unwanted pregnancy. Taking I-pill within 24 to 48 hrs gives more than 85% protection and around 58% within 48 to 72 hrs. Hope, above information is helpful to you for understanding. If you don't have any other query, you can close the discussion. Wish your good health and take care yourself. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Could I take ipill after having unprotected sex to avoid pregnancy? 8 minutes later
Are therr any side effects of I pill.

Answered by Dr. S Patra 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: I-PILL HAS SOME TOLERABLE SIDE EFFECTS. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for follow up query. I-Pill has some side effects which are quite tolerable like nausea, vomiting, breast tenderness, abdominal cramp, mild spotting, headache etc. However, it varies from woman to woman. If you take I-pill (emergency contraceptive pill), you will get withdrawal bleeding (similar to period) within 5 to 7 days. However, next cycle may be delayed for 1 to 2 weeks due to hormonal imbalance and stress. You must undergo one home pregnancy test if your next period is delayed more than 1 week to clear doubts. Hope, it helps for you. Kindly, close the discussion if I have answered the question. Good luck. All the best. Regards, Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Could I take ipill after having unprotected sex to avoid pregnancy? 20 minutes later
Is it sure that I will get bleeding after 5 7 days and my next periods ill be irregular

Answered by Dr. S Patra 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: MOST WOMEN GET WITHDRWAL BLEEDING. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for response. Most women get withdrawal bleeding within 5 to 7 days (max 10 days) following taking the I-pill. It is normal and physiological thing. Therefore, you can expect this bleeding. It is also seen that next cycle will be delayed for 1 to 2 weeks from due date due to hormonal imbalance. Last thing, I suggest that if you had previous REGULAR cycle, then you are quite safe and DON'T need to take I-PILL. Otherwise, you must take the Pill. Hope, I have guided you properly. Kindly, close the discussion. All the best. Regards, Dr Soumen