Could I take estrogen (Premarin) after a complete hysterectomy?

May 2013
How long can I stay on estrogen (Premarin) after a complete hysterectomy? I'm on a low dose (0.625 mg), and my doctor says I can stay on it until the age of 65. I just turned 58. My friend says I should get off of it ASAP, but I work and don't feel I can function without it.
Posted Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: Shorter period is preferable Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Usually hormone replacement therapy is advised for a shorter period. When used for a shorter period like around 5 years, the benefits overweigh the risks. If you want to continue for a longer period, you have to continue with regular checkups including ultrasound abdomen and pelvis, mammogram, coagulation profile etc. If possible you can use alternative medicines like phytoestogens, calcium supplements for osteoporosis, diet including vegetables rich in estrogen like soya etc. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.