Could I resume back to sports and gym after ACL reconstruction surgery on right knee?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I had an ACL reconstruction surgery on my right knee a year and a half ago. I had taken up cycling (~10 kms daily) post recovery and have been doing it since the past one year. I wanted to resume sports and gym. Just wanted to check if it is okay to take up running (treadmill) or sports with less contact (tennis, squash).
Posted Thu, 26 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You can return to tennis and squash. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. As you had tolerated cycling well since past one year after ACL reconstruction surgery, you can return to tennis and squash. It is also okay to take up running (treadmill). You have to continue exercises to strengthen your gluts and butt muscles to help control your leg motion and reduce your risk of damaging the ACL in the future. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care
Follow-up: Could I resume back to sports and gym after ACL reconstruction surgery on right knee? 34 minutes later
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX Thanks for the prompt response. One more quick query, would you recommend me to consult an orthopedic surgeon before resuming these sports and if possible, can you refer me to someone in Bangalore?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX G.P. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Nice to hear from you. Yes, It is better to consult an orthopaedic surgeon before resuming these sports. There are many good orthopaedician in Bangalore. Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX G.P is one of them. You can consult him for proper examination.