Could I have sleep apnea?

Hello, I have a problem with waking up gasping for air, or choking in my sleep. It used to happen frequently, but not as much as it used to. I have been struggling with this for the past three years. Could I have sleep apnea? I know I may have to have a sleep study, but that type of testing is very expensive and I don't want to take the test and it does not happen. Please advise.
Posted Mon, 17 Mar 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: Sleep Apnoea is a probable diagnosis Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. From what you have stated it appears that you are having sleep apnoea and the episodes that you are experiencing could be only a few of the major ones while the minor ones you may not even be knowing or missing out. Sleep study is required to identify the severity of sleep apnoea. Mild cases may require weight reduction and breathing exercises. A bit more serious cases may require night time Bipap respiration. The severe ones may even require surgical procedures in the larynx. If you are having day time drowsiness and weakness cause of sleep apnoea then you may take methylphenidate 10 mg in the morning to keep you active. You may go ahead with the testing as even if there are mild episodes of sleep apnoea which you may not be experiencing,they can be cought in the sleep study. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.