Could I give antihistamine for a baby not sleeping properly?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
My baby is 10 months and I struggle everynight to make her sleep since she was born .and my big problem is that she cant sleep continiously or through the night till now!
at the beginning of the night she sleeps for about 2 hours and then she wakes up every now and then (she wakes up 4 to 10 times at night and some nights we barely sleep) .
when she wakes up at night she keeps crying I hold her and try sooth her ,she goes back to sleep for short period and wakes up again.
I feel that she cries because she needs to go back to sleep but she's unable to,
if leave her to cry she keeps crying for looooong time continiously .
she eats well,and her activity is excellent during the day,I went to a doctor in my country yesterday and he told me that I can give her anti-hestamine 3 times a day to make her sleep well! I'm not convinced with what he said at all!
her father and I are horobly tired ,I wish if you can help.thank you
Posted Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later
Thanks for writing to health care magic.
I understand the trouble and pain which you and your husband are facing. Some kids sleep well continuously at night while some don't. Its individual nature. The following might help you
1) Try prolonging day time wakefulness. You can do this by exposing her to light most of the time during day. Engage her fully in the daytime allowing only 2 naps in the daytime.
2) Try massage and bath before bed time . Baby massage oils are available esp sleep time eg. XXXXXXX and XXXXXXX bedtime lotion.
3) Try feeding her more calorie wise in the night , if her tummy is full she is less likely to wake up .
4) If she is active healthy and playing well and gaining weight adequately, no need to worry. She should settle down in few months. Do not give anti histamine three times a day. You may give occasionally before bedtime once , but not daily.
Hope I answered your query.
Would be glad to help you further. Try sleeping along with your daughter. Take plenty of liquids to ensure your wellbeing and your milk output.
RegardsDr Arun