Could I get infected with HIV after licking vaginal lips?

Hi Doc,

I licked a woman for about 30sec, does that mean l could infected HIV. I don't know the other person's status.

Please help as l am stressed

Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

I can understand your concern for the transmission of HIV. Oral sex with an infected partner carries a small risk of HIV infection and this risk is present if you have bleeding gums or tiny sores or ulcers somewhere in the mouth, which causes a risk of HIV entering the bloodstream.

If you had given her oral intercourse with open sores in your mouth then HIV transmission can occur. Licking of skin with no visible sores on skin and with no sores in your mouth does not transmit HIV.

Hence chances of HIV transmission are very less in your case if you do not have any oral sores. In case you are apprehensive about the status of HIV then you can get investigated for it. Most people develop detectable HIV antibodies within 6 to 12 weeks of infection but sometimes it may take upto 6 months.

I suggest you to do a rapid HIV test which uses a blood sample or oral fluids and is easy to be done. This should be followed by a Western blot and PCR (viral load test) which can identify HIV in the blood within two or three weeks of infection.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.

Follow-up: Could I get infected with HIV after licking vaginal lips? 6 hours later
Thank you do.

All l did was lick her viganal lips and l did not go deeper? Is that a risky? I will arrange to get tested. Stress is killing me. I have not eaten anything the entire day
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 23 hours later
Thanks for writing back
It is risky since the vaginal secretions have been shown to carry the virus. Further, the risk is enhanced if you have any oral sores. However, the chances of transmission are still very less.
It is still a better option to stay safe. Please get tested and dont worry. Even if that lady was HIV positive, the risk still remains minimal.
Hope this helps.