Could I get HIV if person infected with HIV spits and saliva entered my mouth?

I was speaking to a coleague at work. As he was speaking to me, I noticed he was spitting. If the spit entered my mouth, could I get hiv this way? What if he was also spitting blood. If the blood entered my mouth, is hiv transmission possible like this ?
Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 9 hours later

Welcome to Healthcare Magic,

Even though if a person is HIV positive his saliva contains negligible virus because human saliva contains antiviral substances in it and virus cant survive in saliva.

Coming to your next question,if a persons literally spits blood along with saliva,there is a possibility that there may be virus in it.But the virus spread to the other person happens only when he have some ulcerations, gingivitis or any break in the continuity of mucus membrane of mouth. Otherwise if there is no ulceration in his mouth there is no possibility of infection.

Even though the virus enters into the mouth of other person it cannot survive in saliva or else in stomach due to acidic environment.

Hope you are clarified now,
Follow-up: Could I get HIV if person infected with HIV spits and saliva entered my mouth? 3 hours later
So there is no need to worry about hiv infection based on this scenario ?? Do I need testing for hiv ?
Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 2 hours later
Welcome back,

Yes,you dont have to worry about in this situation.