Could I drain my perianal abscess at home myself?

Excellent

Question
Could i drain my perianal abscess at home myself? I have found a medical university book that tells me the procedure. If i can stand the pain, and follow the instructions religiously, could i do it?
must mention that when i softly probe it with my pointing finger, i find two string-like things (suspect them to be blood vessels)
Posted Sat, 25 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,
Perianal abscesses deserve a keen clinical evaluation before any drainage could be done. The abscess could be above the anal sphincter, across the sphincter or below the sphincter.
The management and complications depend on the particular type. Inappropriate drainage actually leads to increased recurrence.
I would recommend you to consult a general surgeon or a surgeon with much experience in perianal abscesses.
Appropriate drainage, prescription of antibiotics at required doses for given period of time depending on the case are key issues in the management.
Wishing you the best of health. Do not hesitate asking further questions if need be.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.

Follow-up: Could I drain my perianal abscess at home myself? 23 hours later
Another question, what will pushing on it would lead to? As i see from the anuses diagram, it can get out of the anus. Could drainage be attained this way, or would it lead to a possible infection because of the pus touching the areas?

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 39 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query,

Its true the diagram might show something. But remember that the management as I mentioned earlier shall depend on the type of abscess and the clinical appreciation of the treating physician. The fear is not actually that after drainage you will have an infection.

The main worry is frequency of complications if not well drained and high recurrence rates. My advice again is to have your surgeon and an experienced surgeon in the field of fistulas examine you properly.

Thanks and best regards as I hope this helps,
Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.

Follow-up: Could I drain my perianal abscess at home myself? 51 minutes later
Just came back from the government hospital, the treatment there is simply unacceptable (shouting doctors, swearing, disrespectful etc) So will have to go to a private clinic.

You are right about not being well drained, just did a study and found that, after making the initial drainage, the doctor looks deeper to find more. I am neither specialized in incisions neither in the search so will attend a specialist as soon as possible.

From the outside it looks easy, but after some research i found out that it is possible for it to be even deeper.

Will attend a proctologist surgeon as soon as possible

Thanks for your answers!

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 27 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the comments,

I am happy you shall be meeting your surgeon soon. Wishing you the best of health as we appreciating you for trusting and using our platform, XXXXXXX

Best regards and see you soon.
Luchuo, MD.

Follow-up: Could I drain my perianal abscess at home myself? 14 minutes later
Well, it's logical to trust a specialist in a field where you need help :)

Thank you very very much for your answers. You are great!

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 25 minutes later
Thanks once again for your kind words.
Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.