Could I consume alcohol while taking lamitor?

Addiction Medicine Specialist
i am taking lamitor since 9 months, first i was taking 100mg, after a few months it was 75 and now it is 50 since 2-3 months. Can i use alcohol now while taking lamitor
Posted Fri, 22 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Yes, you can. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to Healthcare Magic! Lamotrigine (Lamitor) has no major interactions with alcohol. But people on Lamitor and other anticonvulsant drugs are advised to avoid using alcohol as there is a risk of drowsiness and sedation. However, since you are already on a low dose of lamotrigine and also wish to use alcohol in small amounts only, I feel there is no reason why you shouldn't be allowed to do so. In my opinion, it will be best to first take just one peg and see how you feel. If you wish to take more, be careful and if possible, inform a family member/friend so that they can keep an eye on you. However, I do not expect any serious problems. So go ahead and enjoy! Please feel free to ask if you need any clarifications. Best wishes. Dr Preeti Parakh MD Psychiatry