Could I apply safgel ointment for small decub area near the sacrum?

Dermatologist
Question
MY MOTHER IS IN A NURSING HOME. ABOUT A MONTH AGO, SHE DEVELOPED A CLUSTER OF VESICLE LIKE ERUPTIONS IN THE ANAL AREA AND A STAGE II DECUB ULCER AT THE TOP OF THE MID BUTTOCK AREA WHICH WAS INITIALLY TREATED WITH SAFGEL OINTMENT. THE CAUSE OF THE PROBLEM ESSENTIALLY NOT CHANGING HER DIAPER IN A TIMELY MANNER, WHICH I WITNESSED MANY TIMES. WITHIN A FEW DAYS THE VESCICLE ERUPTIONS HAD DRIED UP, THERE WAS LESS REDNESS IN THE ARE AND THE SMALL DECUB AREA NEAR THE SACRUM WAS STRARTING TO HEAL. THE FACILITY CALLED IN A WOUND SPECIALIST WHO STOPPED THE SAFGEL STARTED TREATING THE AREAS WITH NYSTATIN OINTMENT AND SANTLYMURIROCIN ONINTMENT. SIX WEEKS LATER NOW THE VESICLE ERUPTIONS HAVE NOT RETURNED, BUT THE SMALL DECUB AREA STILL HAS NOT GRANULATED IN. MOTHER IS NOT A DECUB, AND IS IN A RELATIVELY GOOD PHYSICAL CONDITION. I SUGGESTED GOING BACK TO THE SAFGEL OINTMENT WHICH HAS WORKED IN THE PAST TO AID HEALING. PLEASE ADVISE
Posted Tue, 7 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 38 minutes later
Brief Answer: Details below Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query, SAF GEL is a hydrating colloid dressing. It is a bland preparation and can be used as long as you want without any side effects. Nystatin is an antibiotic. The doctor might have started it keeping infection in mind. At present if it is a decub ulcer and if the wound is clean without any pus discharge, SAF GEL would be the best choice. Let her start applying that. Let me know if you have any other doubts. Thank you

Follow-up: Could I apply safgel ointment for small decub area near the sacrum? 12 minutes later
What about the santyl muprirocin ointment that is currently being applied by the facility? I didn't suspect that this was a fungal skin problem from the start. It looked like a typical diaper rash irritation from dirty diaper skin problem.

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: details below Detailed Answer: Hello Mupirocine is a broad spectrum antibacterial cream. SAF GEL and antibacterial cream work on different pathogenic processes. SAF GEL will induce the tissue to heal faster while mupirocine will prevent development of infection. A combination of both can be used. Ask her to apply mupirocine in morning and night while SAF GEL in afternoon. This combination will give her a faster relief. Thank you

Follow-up: Could I apply safgel ointment for small decub area near the sacrum? 16 minutes later
thank you for your advice, will relate to the facility.

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: Details below Detailed Answer: You are most welcome. Wishing her a good health. Thank you