Could Dilaudid usuage give false results for urine THC test?

Hi, I have been seeing a PM doctor for at least 4yrs. now, and have always signed the annual contract and submitted to random urinalysis testing. On one occasion I did test positive for THC,as I suffer from chronic migraine and it does give me pain relief as well as nausea.I admitted all this, but recently I was told that the new urine cups for 2014 now in the office could detect THC for as far back as 90 days! I informed them that it could have been, as I'm wanting and working with my eventually wean me off the drug Dilaudid 4mg. (hydromorphone) so I'm certain that I should have tested clean. It had been at least over 1mo. and then only took a couple tokes! It is a great relief for my headaches but when they're full blown, I require the pain meds. Is the 90 day thing for real? He did not terminate me and is awaiting lab results, and I did have my pain meds in my system. Unfortunately, by cutting back on the # of tablets by ten per mo.,I sought relief with a couple tokes. I value my PM Dr. and seriously hope to continue our plan to be PM free or at least a much lower dose than 50tabs mo. Should I plan on moving to Co.?
Posted Tue, 11 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 6 hours later
Brief Answer: It's unlikely.... Detailed Answer: Hi, Yes, it is true that current urine tests are accurate in revealing THC metabolities for as much as 90 days in a person who is a heavy smoker. But for a person who is not a regular users and only had couple of tokes a month ago, it is unlikely that you will fail this urine THC test. I am glad that you considered working with your pain management doctor seriously. Talk to him about the worsening headaches. He/she might prescribe an alternate emergency pain killer when the latest dilaudid schedule doesn't treat it. Hopefully you don't need to look for marijuana again. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards