Coughing with white sputum. Under tuberculosis treatment. Can have sex so that it won't spread to my partner?

I'm suffering from Tuberculosis from 15 Apr and getting treatment from 21st Apr. Since I have started my treatment after a week there is a no blood in sputum while coughing but i still get coughing with white sputum. So my que is there any possibility that I can have sex with not spreading it to my partner?
Posted Sun, 17 Jun 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 4 hours later

Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX

After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You seem to be diagnosed with Pulmonary Tuberculosis.

2. Considering your diagnosis and treatment are correct, I would like to mention here that normally the first two months the patient is infective and there is a greater risk of transmission to contacts. It is therefore recommended that during this period cough hygiene be maintained and contact avoided as far as possible with near and dear ones. It is generally recommended that if patient is sputum positive, then he should wear a mask during the first two months.

3. Thus I would recommend you to have abstinence of sex for the first two months of therapy.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra