Coughing up phlegm after open heart surgery. Taking post nasal drip, muscinex. Anything else to prevent coughing?

It has been 2 months since my open heart surgery and I am still coughing up (clear) phlegm. I do have not great sinuses and I have post-nasal drip. I take one muscinex a day. And some days I do a salt water rinse. Anything else I could be doing?
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 3 hours later
Dear friend, welcome and thanks for entrusting your query here at Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

I feel it could be the post nasal secretions that are accumulating at the back of the throat are being coughed out.

Do you have any sinus pain, fever, breathlessness?
Was the thoracic tap clear or blood tap?
Is there any chest pain?
Have the surgical wounds healed well?

You could also take steam inhalations 3 times a day to clear up the sinuses.

If this does not reduce, please consult your ENT expert about any need for antibiotics, changed medication and any need for an Xray.

There could be cough secondary to surgical effects, pleural irritation etc.
If there is any fever, infection should be ruled out.

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Please ask for any clarifications before closing and rating this query.

Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at
Good Luck! Thank you!!