Coughing up brownish mucus, slimey saliva. No pain and fever. Tried expectorants. Permanent solution?

Been coughing for months, cough up mucus (not alot) but i notice brown specs...nose runs alot...tried plenty muccinex expectorants..chest and nasal...herbal tea..some garlic ...problem feels better but yet its still lingering...still feel a small discompfort...that tickle in my throat...saliva is slimey...which makes me cough...mucus or slimey saliva still clinging to lower throat into chest ......yet no pain, no fever, no sore throat, no headaches, no fatigue...what going on?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

I can understand your concern for these symptoms. Based on your description, there are 2 possibilities that I can think of:

The first consideration is that of “post nasal drip”. It occurs when excessive mucus is produced by the sinuses. The excess mucus accumulates in the throat or back of the nose causing symptoms similar to yours. It can be caused by rhinitis, sinusitis, or laryngopharyngeal acid reflux. Sometimes even allergies can cause post nasal drip.

The second possibility is that of bronchitis.

Some treatment measures for quick relief are:
1. You may use nasal sprays containing antihistaminics or corticosteroids. Your physician can prescribe the sprays to you.
2. Take plenty of fluids throughout the day and inhale steam as many times as possible. . Inhaling steam from a bowl of hot (but not boiling water) may help to soften, and loosen, the buildup of mucus in your nose. You may also find that adding some menthol crystals, or eucalyptus oil, to the water, helps to ease your symptoms of catarrh.
3. Drink plenty of fluids throughout the day and avoid drinks with caffeine in them, chocolate or spicy or greasy foods and instead take cold foods preferably liquids like milk and yoghurt.
4. It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down.

If the symptoms persist then you should consult an ENT specialist as you may need a detailed evaluation and an X-ray/ CT of the sinuses.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.