Coughing up blood, bleeding in nasal mucus, prescribed Ran Cefprozil, smoker, take marijuana. Worried.

Hello doctor. A few hours I visited a doctor to explain my situation, and the fact that he wasn't listening to me, made me feel worried. I have been coughing up blood for a week now, very small amounts though. I do smoke as well, everyday, about 2 cigarettes and a bit of marijuana. Currently, I have been prescribed Ran Cefprozil, and was asked to get a chest x-ray. Today, I blew my nose and a bit of blood was seen there as well.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 31 minutes later
There could be various reasons for coughing up blood.
The most common possibility is a bad throat or some respiratory infection which can lead to blood in cough.
Infection in throat leads to increase blood supply to the part and in turn when there is violent cough is there, the minute blood vessels ruptured leads to bleeding in cough.
Another less common possibilities are some local mouth ulcers,gastric ulcers, allergic rhinitis, etc due to habit of smoking.

I can understand your problem as seeing blood in cough is quite frightening. It may be anything so proper diagnosis and treatment is must.

Please avoid giving high fatty food, decrease smoking, take only light diet with more of liquids.Also avoid alcohol.
Your doctor has suggested for a chest X-ray which will help in diagnosing any chest infection that you might be having.
Some blood counts are also required to find out the possible chronic infections.
Continue with the medicines that your physician has advised and wait for the reports for further treatment.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.