Coughing, tingling, prickling sensation in lower back, no chest pain. Should I see an allergist?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Good evening. Last night while we were having dinner. I started coughing from eating dry cornbread. The coughing led me to start experiencing tingling and a prickling sensation in my lower back that wound up in my the back portion of my right arm. It got to the point that the prickling sensation was hurting. The coughing subsided after a couple of minutes as did the prickling sensation. Afterwards, my right arm felt different. Not quite sure how to explain, but different. It has occurred twice today. The coughing and the prickling sensation were not as severe as last night. I have felt fine otherwsie. No chest pain, tightness, or any issues that I would associate wiht a heart attack.

I do take a regimen of oral inhalants for the COPD that keeps the allergies and everything under control at this point. It is my intention to see my med doctor tomorrow. One question, also, should I see the allegist first or my fam med physician?

Thank you, XXXXXXX

Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 5 hours later
The cough you experienced was probably an allergy or irritating cough but the tingling and numbness might be neuropathic.
Sometimes during violent cough we strain a muscle or ligament and cause nerve impingement thereby causing sudden pain and tingling.
Another possibility in copd patients is the rupture of bullae in lung tissue which too needs assessment for severity and appropriate treatment.
So the treatment is mostly rest and analgesics and it may resolve.
But if the allergic cough persists then the continued strain might worsen the symptom.
You need to consult your family physician first who can evaluate you, confirm the diagnosis and if
required get a xray chest done.Based on that he may or may not (if symptoms resolve)refer you to
your allergist.
Hope I have answered your query.