Coughing sensation, head, throat, chest pressure. Due to computer or TV?

I get a strong coughing sensation and pressure in my head and throat when I am sitting in front of my computer, and especially if I have a headset on. Could my computer be making me cough? and Why?
I want to add chest pressure to the symptoms related with the cough when sitting in front of the computer. I get the same, but milder sensation from standing in front of the flatscreen TV.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

Thanks for your query ,

No , I would not consider the computer or any flat screen causing these symptoms in you .

Here I perceive that the symptoms you have could be triggered by the position of the neck / head , while seeing the computer screen or a flat screen.

The most probable cause for causing such a sensation of cough and pressure in the throat could be due to mild infection in the throat.One could be either due to Pharyngitis ( infection in the pharynx) which is associated symptoms like difficulty in swallowing ,Fever, Headache,joint pain and muscle aches,Skin rashes,Swollen lymph nodes in the neck and the other possible infection could be epiglottitis( infection in the epiglottis ) associated with symptoms like abnormal breathing sounds (stridor), Cyanosis (blue skin colouring),difficulty breathing (patient may need to sit upright and lean slightly forward to breathe), difficulty swallowing, voice changes (hoarseness).

Get yourself examined by a ENT specialist to rule out the above causes, who can put you on appropriate medications for the same.

Meanwhile gargle with CHLORHEXIDINE solution thrice daily which will reduce the symptoms and also inhibits the infection.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.
Follow-up: Coughing sensation, head, throat, chest pressure. Due to computer or TV? 20 hours later
Thank you for your reply. I do not have any symptoms of fever, chills, sore throat, stridor, cyanosis, breathing difficulties, rash, or swollen lymph glands. There is a little bit of tenderness at the level of my thyroid gland. Could this still be an infection, or can the position of my neck cause this problem? I am a medical transcriptionist and use a headset daily. I got a new headset that caused some painful sores to form on the helix crux, but no inner ear pain. Any thoughts with this further information?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 21 hours later

Thanks for the follow up query.
The absence of symptoms like fever, chills, sorethroat, stridor, cyanois, breathing difficulties , rash or swollen lymphnodes indicates the overt infection. Sometimes the infection is subtle and it will be mild and the symptoms are few. Coughing surely indicates the irritation of the pharynx which may be due to infection or the response to allergen . So in order to find out the cause a clinical examination of throat should be done.
Even the improper position of neck can cause cough.As the straining of neck structures like nerves(vagus nerve) can induce cough. Maintaining awkward positioning for long time can cause impairment in saliva drainage in the mouth which will eventually irritates the pharynx causing cough.

To prevent painful sores in ears avoid using rigid headphones. Avoid wearing headphones for long time.
Use proper fitting headphones. It will eventually heals on its own.

Hope i answered your query.If you any follow up queries i will be available to answer them.

Wish you good Health.