Coughing out blood, sore throat, occasional smoker. Upper endoscopy for stomach normal. Cause of worry ?

I am 18 years old and I do smoke occasionally and I'm scared to death because I just coughed up blood. My throat is sore because I had an upper endoscopy done to check out my stomach and everything came out fine for that but I'm really scared. I don't know if this helps but when my doctor listened to my lungs they were clear 4 days ago. I just coughed up a little blood though and I'm scared. From a doctors standpoint do you think I'm ok?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 2 hours later

Thank you for the query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Do you have cough with chest pain?
2.) Since how long have you been smoking? How many cigarettes you smoke per day?
3.) Do you have pain abdomen, vomiting of blood or blood in stools?
4.) Do you have any breathing difficulty?
5.) Since how long do you have Bronchitis?

I feel your Coughing of Blood is due to Bronchitis, as it is known to cause this. Bronchitis is the inflammation of the lining of your bronchial tubes, which carry air to and from your lungs. Kindly get yourself examined by a Respiratory Specialist so that he/she may examine you and run few tests like,

1.) Brochoscopy
2.) CT scan of chest.
3.) Chest X XXXXXXX
4.) Complete Blood Count
5.) Sputum culture and smear,

Your treating Doctor will know better. After thorough physical examination and scrutinisation of your reports, he/she will be able to locate the exact source of the bleeding. Once confirmed the treatment will depend upon the cause.

The treatment involves, Antibiotics, Pain relievers and steroids if necessary.

In addition to this follow these lifestyle modifications:

1.) Get adequate rest.
2.) Breath in warm moist air.
3.) Drink plenty of water.
4.) Don't smoke.
5.) Wear a mask when the air is polluted or if you're exposed to any kind of irritants.
6.) Use a humidifier at home and breath in warm air regularly.
7.) Wear a mask whenever you go out.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up Queries.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.
Follow-up: Coughing out blood, sore throat, occasional smoker. Upper endoscopy for stomach normal. Cause of worry ? 1 hour later
I got diagnosed with bronchitis a couple weeks ago it got better and then after my endoscopy the results of that came out fine but I have a soar throat and Ive been smoking for less than a year. I'm a hypochondriac pretty bad but I'm just scared that the blood is a lung cancer pre cursor. But reguardless i coughed and have been checking it out and now its just clear mucus. In your professional oppinion do you think I have lung cancer? And no one in my family has had it.
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 15 hours later

Thank you for Writing back to me.

You haven't mentioned how many cigarettes you smoke per day and since how long? It need not be lung cancer at such an young age, but all the necessary tests which i have mentioned above have to be done to know the root cause of your problem, until then nothing can be said.

Once the cause is found out, you will be treated accordingly.

Visit a Respiratory Specialist at the earliest, and get yourself examined. Follow the lifestyle modifications, as mentioned above, stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up. Practice relaxation techniques like yoga and meditation, avoid stress and get adequate sleep.

Wish you Good Health and Good Luck.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.