Coughing during sleep. Teething. Given benadryl. Should I be concerned?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
My 11 month old is coughing during sleep and a few times through out the day for about a week. He's teething and it's allergy season in my city so I can't decide if this is something to be concerned about. I gave him some Benadryl before bed to see if this helps but my ped told me kids don't get sinus allergies. He also rubs his eyes a bunch and gets a little stuffy in his nose. So I suppose my question is, do children his age get allergies? If the Benedryl helps, should I still be concerned?
Posted Sun, 11 Aug 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later
Thanks for writing to health care magic. Kids do get allergic rhinitis at this age. It may not be sinus but allergic rhinitis affecting nose is very common in Kids
Benadryl should help . Do consult allergy specialist in your area to evaluate him further . I usually prescribe monteleukast for such kids. Its very safe and approved for mild allergic rhinitis.
Dr Arun
Pediatrics & Allergy Asthma Specialist