Coughing due to reflux problem and taking nexium. Blood test and X ray are normal. Glands near ear are hurting. How to get relief from pain?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
I have been coughing for 2 months.Dr said that i have refux I have no problem in my tummy.I am eating nexium 40 mg for last 20 days.Xray and blood test done.nothing wrong in blood test and chest.all normal.I have eating thyroid medicine 50 mg for last 15 years.Last night i got gland under my chin ,close to my ear and hurting..No relief from the medicine.I am going to do my endoscopy in december 10 in westmead pvt hospital .pls advise and help Thank you
Posted Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Vandana Khare 1 hour later
Brief Answer: infection in head neck region can cause this Detailed Answer: Hi! welcome to HCM! NEXIUM is Esomeprazole belongs to the family of medications known as proton pump inhibitors (PPIs). In adults and children, it is used to treat conditions such as reflux esophagitis.You have taken the medication and observed that your cough is not improving. Gland under your chin is possibly a lymph node.Neck region has many superficial lymph nodes that commonly become enlarged and are palpable in variety of disease conditions.Isolated swollen lymph nodes in the neck region is localized lymphadenopathy.Various common infections in the head and neck region like common cold, strep throat, gingivitis, ear infections, flu, infectious mononucleosis, upper respiratory tract infection, mumps, etc. can cause enlarged lymph nodes in the neck. Enlarged lymph nodes due to infections are generally painful and require NSAIDs (like acetaminophen or ibuprofen). Antibiotics are given if bacterial infection is suspected. However sometimes submandibular salivary gland can be palpated in the same region .My advice is to get examined by an ENT surgeon and if he can find an infective lesion,it may be the cause of your cough too. Isincerely hope this will help you! Take care