Coughing, chest and back pain, metallic taste in mouth after removal of gall bladder. What can be going on?

I had my gallbladder removed 3 weeks ago....since then I have had a slight cough, it is getting worse and now my chest and back hurt a little and the taste after I cough tastes like some sort of metal.......what can be going on? They did put me to sleep with a breathing tube.....
Posted Sat, 15 Sep 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 1 hour later

Your problems suggest that we need to rule out certain post-operative complications. I would be grateful if you can answer the following questions:
1. Is there any fever associated with it?
2. Was it a laparoscopic surgery or open surgery?
3. Is cough associated with heart burn?
4. Was your pre-operative lung check-up normal?
5. Do you smoke?

Post-operatively lung infection, basal atelectasis, GERD or aggravation of underlying chest problems all are possibilities in this clinical set-up.

Once I have the answers, we’d be able to discuss this better

God bless .

Dr. Arnab Maji