Coughing blood and gagging after consuming alcohol, no tonsils, swollen glands, no vomiting. What could be causing this?

After consuming alcohol last night my son is coughing up blood and can not even brush his teeth without gagging. There is blood on his tongue and on the little flap in the back of his throat. He does not have his tonsils. When he tries to cough up to spit (cough up a loogie) it will not come up he has to swallow it. What could be causing is? His glands are swollen. He did not vomit last night.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 2 hours later

Hi there. Thank you for posting your question with XXXXXXX I will do my best to help you.

The most likely explanation for your son difficulties at the moment are that he has a gastritis caused by alcohol. This will give blood in his mouth as he retches.

Of course he might equally have an none-alcohol related upper respiratory tract infection (viral). Either way, see how it pans out. My feeling is that he will be fine in a day or two.

I hope that I have answered your questions fully and been of some help. If you have anymore questions please contact me again anytime.

Dr Andrew Rynne.